Final Score: VCU: 1, George Mason: 0
Location: Fairfax, Va. (George Mason Soccer Stadium)
Records: VCU: 7-7-2 (6-1-1, A-10), George Mason: 4-12-1 (3-5-0, A-10)
THE SHORT STORY
More late heroics by junior Biska Biyombo (Lumbumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo) lifted VCU to a 1-0 defeat of in-state Atlantic-10 rival George Mason on the final game of regular season play.
- Biska Biyombo scored the only goal of the match in the 83rd minute to give VCU a late 1-0 lead.
- Junior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) made two key saves to keep the shutout and the victory.
- Biyombo and junior Oquin Robinson (Bull Bay, Jamaica) each had three shots.
- The Rams outshot the Patriots 10-7 and landed five of its shots on frame.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Robinson fired VCU's first shot of the night in the 25th minute that went just high.
- Anthony Gonnella (Charlottesville, Va.) had a look at goal in the 30th minute to force a save by the George Mason keeper.
- VCU was aggressive out of the gate in the second half. In the 58th minute, Robinson fired another dangerous shot that sailed barely wide.
- Senior Fortia Munts (Barcelona, Spain) was a key offensive threat for the Rams, putting two shots on target in the 68th and 76th minutes forcing two more big saves by the Patriots.
- The Rams finally wore down George Mason's defense and took a 1-0 lead in the 83rd minute. Junior Simon Fitch (Richmond, Va.) played a ball to senior Austin Graham (Midlothian, Va.) who played it into the box. Biyombo collected the ball and placed it into the bottom corner of the net.
- The Patriots knocked on the door one final time in the last minute of the game, but Sequeira remained a brick wall, making the save to secure his fifth clean sheet of the season.
VCU will be back in action Saturday, Nov. 9 for an A-10 Quarterfinal tilt. Seeding for the tournament will be determined by the league Sunday morning.