Final Score: VCU: 0, UNCW: 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU: 6-7-2 (5-1-1, A-10), UNCW: 10-4-2 (6-0-1, CAA)
THE SHORT STORY
VCU fell to UNCW 3-0 in its final non-conference match of the season Tuesday night at Sports Backers Stadium.
- UNCW got on the board in the 14th minute to take a 1-0 lead.
- The Seahawks extended its lead 2-0 in the 84th minute.
- The final goal of the match was scored in the 87th minute to secure the 3-0 victory.
- Senior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) made eight saves between the sticks.
- Senior Ryo Shimazaki (Kawasaki, Japan) let the way with two shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the 12th minute, senior Anthony Gonnella (Charlottesville, Va.) fired VCU's first shot of the night that went high.
- The Seahawks took a 1-0 lead in the 14th minute after earning a corner kick. The service was headed to the back post where a UNCW player headed the ball home.
- Sophomore Martin Ngoh (Goldvein, Va.) put VCU's only shot on target of the night in the 24th minute, but the UNCW keeper made the save.
- Freshman Maverick McGann (Washington, D.C.) had a great look in the 50th minute when he slipped behind the defense and got a head to the ball, but the shot went just high.
- VCU had another good chance in the 69th minute. Junior Toranosuke Abe (Tokyo, Japan) fired a rocket from outside the box towards goal that was just inches wide.
- UNCW scored again in the 84th and 87th minutes to cap off the 3-0 victory.
VCU will have its final match of the regular season Saturday, Nov. 2 at George Mason. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.