Final Score: VCU: 2, George Washington: 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU: 6-6-2 (5-1-1), George Washington: 5-10-1 (3-4-0)
THE SHORT STORY
- Munts scored his first of the season and got VCU on the board early with a goal in the 4th minute.
- VCU increased its lead 2-0 in the 61st minute by way of Mane's third goal of the season.
- Senior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) secured his fourth shutout of the season by making seven saves.
- The Rams outshot the Colonial 17-14 on the night with Mane leading the way with five shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU wasted no time finding the back of the net. In the 4th minute, junior Biska Biyombo (Lumbumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo) made a streaking run down the right sideline, beating out his defender and played a brilliant ball to Munts who was waiting just inside the 18 and fired a rocket to the back of the net.
- Mane nearly netted VCU's second of the night in the 16th minute, but his shot went wide.
- In the 37th minute, Munts sent in a free kick to a dangerous spot in the box where junior Zeron Sewell (Morant Bay, Jamaica) got a boot on the ball, but sent his shot high.
- The Rams took a 2-0 lead in the 61st minute with a beautiful attack starting just beyond midfield. Junior Oquin Robinson (Bull Bay, Jamaica) played the ball wide to senior Ryo Shimazaki (Kawasaki, Japan) who took a touch and sent the ball into the box where Mane was waiting to bury the shot.
- VCU continued to be the offensive aggressor, finding chances in the 78th and 79th minutes.
- Sequeira kept his clean sheet alive in the 81st minute with an impressive fingertip save on a free kick.
VCU will host UNC Wilmington for its final non-conference match of the year Wednesday, Oct. 30. Kickoff at Sports Backers Stadium is slated for 7 p.m.