Final Score: VCU: 2, Davidson: 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU 4-5-1 (3-0-0 A-10), Davidson 1-6-2 (032-0, A-10)
THE SHORT STORY
Senior Biska Biyombo's (Lumbumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo) 108th minute goal lifted VCU to a 2-1 win over Atlantic 10 foe Davidson Saturday at Sports Backers Stadium.
- Biyombo put VCU ahead 1-0 in the 17th minute.
- Davidson converted a penalty kick in the 83rd minute to tie the game 1-1.
- Biyombo scored his second of the night in the 108th minute to seal the 2-1 victory.
- The Rams limited the Wildcats chances, allowing just three shots on goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Biyombo scored his first goal of the night in the 17th minute when he buried the ball at the near post off a beautiful cross from senior Austin Graham (Midlothian, Va.).
- Sophomore Fiorre Mane (Dakar, Senegal) had a good look at goal in the 57th minute, but his shot sailed just wide of frame.
- Biyombo continued to be influential in the attacking third, with a right-footed shot in the 70th minute that clanged off the post.
- VCU continued to knock on the door in the second half. Senior Ryo Shimazaki (Kawasaki, Japan) found the woodwork yet again for the Rams in the 80th minute.
- Davidson was awarded a penalty kick in the 83rd minute and converted from the spot to tie the game 1-1.
- The teams were tied 1-1 at the end of regulation and continued to two, golden-goal overtime periods.
- The game was put away in the 108th minute when Mane fed a beautiful ball to a streaking Biyombo who slotted the ball past the keeper to the back of the net.
- VCU's 2-1 victory lifts the Rams to 3-0 in conference play.
HEAD COACH DAVE GIFFARD
"It was a great result for us at the end of the day. We made it much more difficult than we needed to, but got 3 points in the end to keep us top of the table."
VCU will return to action Wednesday, Oct. 9 as it plays host to Davidson. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium.