Final Score: VCU: 2, SBU: 0
Location: Olean, N.Y. (Marra Athletics Complex)
Records: VCU: 2-4 (1-0, A-10)), SBU: 243 (0-1, A-10)
THE SHORT STORY
The Rams defeated St. Bonaventure 2-0 after a dominant showing on its opening night of Atlantic 10 Conference play.
- Junior Jared Greene (Virginia Beach, Va.) broke the deadlock in the 29th minute, giving VCU a 1-0 lead.
- VCU increased its lead 2-0 when junior Biska Biyombo (Lumbumbashi, Democratic of the Congo) found the back of the net in the 70th minute.
- VCU fired seven shots, landing five on frame.
- Senior Austin Graham (Midlothian, Va.) had a productive night, assisting both of the Rams' goals.
- Biyombo led the way, earning three points with his first goal and second assist of the season.
- Senior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) made five important saves to help secure VCU's victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the 15th minute, junior Oquin Robinson (Bull Bay, Jamaica) took a free kick from just outside the box and curled the ball towards the top right corner of frame, but the Bonnies' keeper made an impressive diving save to keep things scoreless.
- VCU had a good look in the 26th minute when junior Biska Biyombo (Lumbumbashi, Democratic of the Congo) let loose a shot that forced another St. Bonaventure save.
- Sophomore Fiorre Mane (Dakar, Senegal) nearly scored in his second-consecutive game when he got on the end of a beautiful through ball in the 27th minute, but the ball was sent just inches wide.
- After dominating possession during the first half, the Rams finally broke through late in the first frame. After a beautiful buildup from Biyombo and Graham, Greene found the ball at his feet just in front of goal and poked it in for his first goal of the season and a 1-0 lead.
- In the 55th minute, Robinson had another chance and nearly capitalized on a free kick just outside the box. He took the kick from a tough angle, and was able to curl the ball in, but the shot banged off the cross bar.
- St. Bonaventure threatened in the 65th minute with a shot that hit off the cross bar, but junior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) got his body turned and secured the ball to keep the Bonnies off the board.
- Biyombo and Graham connected once again in the 70th minute to give VCU a 2-0 lead. Graham made a streaking on the left side and played a beautiful ball to the near post to a waiting Biyombo who tapped the ball in.
HEAD COACH DAVE GIFFARD
"It's been a tough start to the year, but I'm proud of the guys for digging deep and getting a result to start the year 1-0 in the A-10"
VCU will continue its extended road stretch Wednesday, September 25 at Coastal Carolina. Kickoff for that match is slated for 7 p.m. ET.