Final Score: VCU: 1, ODU: 3
Location: Norfolk, Va. (ODU Soccer Complex)
Records: VCU (1-4-0), ODU (1-3-1)
THE SHORT STORY
A pair of second half goals by Old Dominion were enough to defeat VCU 3-1 in Norfolk on Tuesday night.
- ODU took the lead with a 26thminute goal.
- VCU dug in and level in the 34thminute with sophomore Fiorre Mane's (Dakar, Senegal) first goal of the season.
- ODU took a 2-1 lead in the 75thminute when it floated a free kick into the back of the net.
- The Monarchs netted another goal in the 82ndminute to increase its lead 3-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Biska Biyombo (Lubumbashi, Democratic Repibluc of the Congo) fired the first shot of the night in the 14thminute, but his shot was just wide.
- Although VCU had a majority of the possession early, the Monarchs took a 1-0 lead in the 26thminute, capitalizing on a free kick just outside the penalty area.
- The Rams continued to press and leveled in the 32ndminute. After ODU failed to clear a corner kick, Biyombo headed the ball to a waiting Mane who struck a rocket from nearly 20-yards out to the top right corner of the net.
- Biyombo continued to be a major factor in VCU's attacking third, ripping another shot in the 41stminute that is blocked.
- In the 63rdminute, VCU earned a free kick just outside the box. Senior Fortia Munts (Barcelona, Spain) took stood over the kick and fired it on frame, but the ODU keeper was there to make the save.
- ODU took advantage of another free kick of its own for a 2-1 lead in the 75thminute and struck again in the 82ndminute to complete the scoring and secure the 3-1 win.
The Rams will begin Atlantic 10 play Saturday, September 21 as it travels to St. Bonaventure for a 7 p.m. kickoff.