Final Score: VCU: 0, #16 UCF: 2
Location: Orlando, Fla.
Records: VCU:1-4-1, UCF: 3-1-1
THE SHORT STORY
The Rams gave #16 UCF all it could handle, but an early and late goal by the Knights were enough to defeat VCU 2-0 on the road Friday night.
- Junior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) was solid between the pipes, withstanding 22 shots and making three key saves.
- Seniors Fortia Munts (Barcelona, Spain) and Myles Brown (Richmond, Va.) both fired a shot for the Rams.
- UCF scored in the 15thminute to take a 1-0 lead.
- After an evenly matched second half, the Knights scored with seven seconds left in the game to make the final score line 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Fiorre Mane (Dakar, Senegal) had VCU's first offensive chance of the night, making a streaking run down the right side and serving the ball into the box, but it was cleared away by the UCF defense.
- After scoring in the 15thminute, the Knights looked to capitalize once again, but Sequeira made a leaping fingertip save to keep things 1-0.
- In the 33rdminute, Brown created space in the left corner of the 18-yard box and ripped a shot that went just wide.
- Mane asserted his offensive power yet again in the 54thminute as he outran his UCF defender. Just before he got a shot off, the Knights were able to cut off his run.
- One of VCU's best chances of the night came in the 86thminute off a free kick. Junior Toranosuke Abe (Tokyo, Japan) send the kick into the penalty area to a host of waiting Rams who were able to flick the ball towards goal, but the UCF keeper came off his line and collected the ball.
- UCF scored its final goal of the game in the 90thminute for a 2-0 victory.
HEAD COACH DAVE GIFFARD
"It was a rough day at the office tonight for us. It wasn't a good performance tonight in any aspect from the team which means that as a coach, I will have to be better to give us a chance to have better performances moving forward. There's not really anything else to say."
VCU will continue its six-game road stretch Tuesday, September 17thas it travels to in-state rival Old Dominion. Kickoff in Norfolk, Va. is slated for 7 p.m.