Final Score: NJIT: 1, VCU: 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records:VCU (1-2-0), NJIT (3-0-1)
The Short Story
After 90 scoreless minutes of regulation soccer, a golden-goal winner by NJIT decided Sunday night's match.
- The Rams outshot NJIT 19-9 during the 96-minute match.
- VCU won the corner kick battle 5-2.
- Sophomore Martin Ngoh (Goldvein, Va.) led VCU with six shots, landing three on target.
- NJIT scored the winner in the 96th minute.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ngoh got going early, blasting a shot on target in the 13thminute that was saved by the Highlanders' keeper.
- VCU earned a penalty in the 46th minute when Ngoh drew a foul inside the box. NJIT's keeper was, however, up to the task and denied the spot kick to keep things scoreless.
- Junior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) charged off his line in the 60th minute to defend an NJIT breakaway and came up with a massive save to keep the Highlanders off the board.
- With just under two minutes in regulation, Ngoh nearly netted a go-ahead goal when he picked up a loose ball and blasted a shot that rattled off the cross bar.
- NJIT came out on top when it netted a golden goal in the 96th minute.
HEAD COACH DAVE GIFFARD
"There is a special team in this group, we just have to keep on going and believing. As we get healthier and continue to improve each week, we are going to be very, very good."
VCU hits the road for a six-game road stretch beginning Friday, September 13 at UCF.