Final Score: VCU 0, Rhode Island 1
Location: St. Louis, Mo. (Hermann Stadium)
Records: No. 1 VCU (10-6-2) A-10 (6-1-1), No. 4 Rhode Island (14-4-0) A-10 (5-3-0)
The Short Story: VCU failed to reach its fourth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship match after falling just short to Rhode Island in the semifinals.
- Sophomore midfielder Simon Fitch and freshman forward Martin Ngoh led VCU in shots with four each.
- VCU outshot Rhode Island 17-12 but Rhode Island held a 7-6 edge in shots on goal.
- Sophomore keeper Mario Sequeira logged six saves.
- Rhode Island committed 16 fouls compared to VCU's eight.
- Six different Rams took a shot throughout the match.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rhode Island scored the first and only goal of the match when Chae Brangman followed up Stavros Zarokostas' shot that was initially saved and deflected by Sequeira in the 56th minute.
- Jared Greene forced the first save of the match when he took a shot on goal in the 17th minute.
- Sequeira saved back-to-back shots in the 29th minute to keep Rhode Island from gaining an early lead.
- VCU had a few opportunities to equalize the match when Ngoh and Simon Fitch both took shots just a few minutes after URI's goal, but neither could find the back of the net.
- Sequeira made a diving save in the 82nd minute to keep Rhode Island from extending their lead before Peter Pearson's shot in the 85th minute was saved by Roger Penske.
HEAD COACH DAVID GIFFARD
"Congratulations to Rhode Island. They are a good team who is well coached, that's senior heavy, and who took their chances today. For us, it's a frustrating way to be eliminated, playing very well and creating plenty of chances to win the game on an awful field in tough conditions. In the end, we didn't take one and that's the difference this time of year. Now we have to wait and hope we get some help around the country in the other league tournaments."
VCU will await an announcement from the NCAA Selection Show on Nov. 12 at 1 p.m. to see if it will be selected for its second straight NCAA Tournament appearance. Updates will be given out on Twitter, @VCUMensSoccer.