Final Score: VCU 2, George Mason 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers)
Records: VCU (9-4-1) A-10 (5-0-1), George Mason (5-7-0) A-10 (3-3-0)
- Sophomore forward Jared Greene and sophomore midfielder Simon Fitch scored one goal apiece.
- Senior midfielder Eli Lockaby and junior midfielders Siad Haji and Fortia Munts registered an assist each.
- George Mason tallied seven fouls compared to VCU's four.
- VCU held a 17-10 edge in shots and 8-3 edge in shots on goal.
- Sophomore keeper Mario Sequeira logged three saves compared to GMU's Clark Gronek's eight.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams posed a threat almost immediately following the opening kick as Haji sent in a ball from a free kick into the box to find Simon Fitch, who took a shot and scored, but the goal was negated due to an offsides call.
- In the 22nd minute, Munts found Lockaby down the left side of the field, who then crossed it into the box where Greene one touched the ball and found the back of the net.
- Fitch scored his first goal of the season and the second goal of the match after receiving a Haji free kick, where he tapped it in from just outside of the right goal post in the 39th minute.
- Junior midfielder Ryo Shimazaki came close to extending the Rams' lead to 3-0 in the 42nd minute but his shot was saved by Gronek.
- Sequeira stretched out to make a save in the 80th minute which assisted him in recording his ninth clean sheet of the season.
HEAD COACH DAVID GIFFARD
"It was another good result in the league for us. Mason is a good team and very dangerous in many ways. It wasn't our best performance, but it was another professional 2-0 win. We'll take it and move on."
VCU is set to play in its final road match of the season when it travels to face off against Dayton on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 7 p.m.