Final Score: VCU 1, Temple 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (2-1-0), Temple (0-2-0)
The Short Story: Siad Haji's converted penalty in the first half helped Rams top Temple 1-0 in a hard-fought match.
- Junior midfielder Siad Haji knocked in his first goal of the season off of a converted penalty kick in 42nd minute.
- Haji, junior forward Biska Biyombo and junior midfielder Fortia Munts recorded two shots each.
- Sophomore keeper Mario Sequeira guided the Rams' to their second shutout of the season, recording two saves.
- The Owls outshot the Rams 13-8 with each team tallying two shots on goal.
- Temple totaled 16 fouls, compared to 11 for VCU in the physical match.
- Temple held a 5-1 edge in corner kicks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Within the first 30 seconds of the match, Biyombo attempted to put VCU ahead with a left-footed shot inside the 18-yard box but it was blocked by a Temple defender.
- Temple took three shots in a 15 second span in the 21st minute but they were all blocked by VCU defenders.
- The first save of the game was forced by Munts, who ripped a shot from just outside the box in the 24th minute.
- Haji's game-winning goal came from a converted penalty kick in the 42nd minute.
- In the 52nd minute, Munts played a ball over the top to Biyombo's feet for an open shot at the penalty mark but his effort just missed wide left.
- Mario Sequeira recorded two clutch saves in the 46th and 76th minutes to preserve VCU's 1-0 lead and recorded his first shutout of the season.
HEAD COACH DAVID GIFFARD
"We had a very good first half and honestly needed to score three or four goals and put an end to the game. We didn't and it allowed Temple to grow into the game and control large portions of the second half. However, I was proud of the guys for grinding out the last 45 minutes and not conceding a goal to keep the shutout and earn the three points against a team that will win a lot of games. Now our attention turns to Santa Clara on Sunday."
VCU closes out its four-game homestand when it hosts Santa Clara at 7 p.m. on Sept. 2 at Sports Backers Stadium.