Score: VCU 3, Dayton 2 – OT
Records: VCU (5-9-4, 3-2-3 A10), Dayton (10-5-3, 5-1-2 A10)
Location: Baujan Field – Dayton, Ohio
The Short Story: The VCU Men's Soccer team rallied late, scoring three goals in less than 10 minutes for a come-from-behind victory over Dayton, clinching a spot in next weekend's Atlantic 10 Tournament. Behind a goal from Dennis Castillo and an own goal from the Flyers, the Rams tied the game before junior Jorge Herranz chipped in the game-winner in overtime.
How It Happened:
- Castillo took a free kick in the 17th minute, looking to put the Rams ahead early, but his shot hit the post.
- In the 21st minute, Dayton got on the board behind a goal from Maik Schoonderwoerd. Herranz looked to answer with a shot, but the ball sailed over the cross bar.
- The Flyers looked to extend their lead in the 30th minute, but VCU was able to clear the ball out of the danger zone.
- Ivan Sakou looked to capitalize on a turnover and score the equalizer before the break, but his shot was blocked.
- After halftime, the Rams looked again for an opportunity to tie the game, Barnathan sent the ball in, but UD's keeper was there to stop the chance.
- The Flyers extended their lead, 2-0 with a goal from Amass Amankona in the 59th minute
- The momentum shifted in the 84th minute, as the Rams cut the deficit after a bad pass from a UD defender slid through the keepers hands.
- Just two minutes later, Rafael Andrade Santos connected with Castillo to tie the match at 2-2, ultimately sending it to extra time.
- Five minutes into the overtime period, Santos blasted a shot that was deflected and Herranz was there to finish the chance. With the win the Rams secured their spot in the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
- The Rams clinched a spot in the Atlantic 10 Tournament and will face top-seeded George Washington on Thursday, November 12. Kickoff is slated for 11:00 a.m.
- Click here for the 2015 A-10 Tournament Bracket