Oct 07, 2015
- Score: VCU 2, St. Bonaventure 0
- Records: VCU (3-6-2, 1-0-1 A10), St. Bonaventure (1-10-1, 0-1 A10)
- Location: SportsBackers Stadiume – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Redshirt junior Kai Marshall and freshman Lyndsey Moreland both scored the first goals of their VCU careers to lead the Rams to a 2-0 victory over St. Bonaventure in the Black & Gold's Atlantic 10 home opener. The Rams completely dominated play outshooting the Bonnies, 18-3 and earning 11 corners on the night.
How It Happened
- VCU started the offensive attack early and often with senior Dennis Castillo blasting a free kick in the fourth minute that forced the SBU keeper into a diving save. Moments later, Jorge Herranz pressured himself, but another save kept the game scoreless.
- Junior Simond Kargbo continued the attack in the 13th minute, dribbling through the Bonnies defense and ripping a shot, but the SBU keeper was able to deflect it away.
- The Rams continued to dominate possession throughout the half, registering nine shots and seven corners in the first 45.
- Just before the break, Herranz lifted a corner into the box for junior Dakota Barnathan, who headed a ball to Moreland for his first goal of his collegiate career and a 1-0 VCU advantage.
- The second half was much of the same with the Black & Gold controlling possession throughout.
- Ivan Sakou's shot in the 80th minute looked to extend VCU's lead, but his shot was knocked down by the SBU defense.
- With under 10 minutes left in regulation, Marshall took a pass from Cody Sweatte and found the back of the net to seal the 2-0 victory for the Rams.
- Moreland and Marshall's goals were the first of their VCU careers.
- Castillo made his 70th career start in the match. He is the program's all-time leader in that category.
- Greg Boehme made the first start of his career tonight.
- VCU returns to action on Saturday, October 10 when they host Davidson at SportsBackers Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.