Sep 17, 2015
- Score: VCU 2, Georgetown 2 – Final (2 OT)
- Records VCU (2-4-1), Georgetown (2-2-2)
- Location: SportsBackers Stadium – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Junior Dakota Barnathan found the back of the net with less than three minutes remaining in regulation to lead the VCU men's soccer team to a 2-2 draw with 2014 College Cup participant Georgetown on Thursday night. Sophomore Rafael Andrade Santos scored for the third straight game.
How It Happened
- In the 17th minute, Dennis Castillo looked to put the Rams ahead early with a free kick, but the ball grazed the cross bar.
- Georgetown took at 1-0 advantage behind a goal from Alex Muyl in the 37th minute.
- With minutes remaining in the half, Jason McGlothern's shot was stopped by the Hoyas keeper. A corner kick ensued where Barnathan looked to find the back of the net with a header, but again the keeper denied the chance.
- Rafael Andrade Santos nailed the equalizer in the 51st minute after taking a scramble in front of the net.
- The Hoyas retook a lead minutes later after there was a loose ball in the box.
- Barnathan had back-to-back attempts in the 60th minute, but neither shots found the back of the net.
- In the 73rd minute, Juan Fajardo Ortiz blasted a shot from 40 yards out, but it went just high.
- With time ticking off the clock, great passing led to Barnathan getting loose on the left side and sliding a shot into the right corner of the net to tie the game at 2-2.
- Both teams battled for possession in the overtime periods, but neither were able to scratch out a goal.
- With Santos' goal tonight, he has tied McGlothern with a team-leading three goals.
- It was the third straight game that Santos found the back of the net.
- All three matches with Georgetown under Coach Giffard have gone to extra time.
Highlights & Quotes (Coach Giffard and Dakota Barnathan)
- The Rams will conclude their home stand as defending national champion Virginia visits SportsBackers Stadium on Monday, September 21. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.
- For all your UCI World Championship updates, detours and information, visit navigate.richmond2015.com