Sep 13, 2015
- Score: VCU 3, Jacksonville 0
- Records: VCU (2-4-0), Jacksonville (2-2-1)
- Location: SportsBackers Stadium – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Three different players scored first-half goals and the VCU defense posted its second straight shutout with a 3-0 defeat of Jacksonville, as part of the ODU STIHL Classic. Sophomores Luc Fatton and Rafael Andrade Santos both found the net, along with junior Jason McGlothern who scored his team-leading third goal of the season.
How It Happened
- The Rams controlled possession throughout much of the first half. Similar to Friday's game, VCU got the scoring started early, this time with Luc Fatton finding the back of the net in the 13th minute.
- Minutes later, Jason McGlothern netted his third goal of the season, nailing a shot from 30 yards out off an assist from Ivan Sakou, putting the Rams ahead, 2-0.
- Rafael Andrade Santos extended VCU's lead to 3-0 as he tapped in a ball in front of the net in the 31st minute.
- Jacksonville tried to get on the board off a freekick in the 61st minute, but sophomore keeper Pierre Gardan came up with a diving save to keep the Dolphins off the board.
- Less than 10 minutes, Gardan came up with another diving save off a Jacksonville free kick en route to VCU's second straight shutout.
- Senior Dennis Castillo nearly pushed the lead to four with two minutes remaining, but JU's keeper came up with the save.
- Dating back to last year, VCU has shutout six of its past 12 opponents.
- Seven of VCU's eight goals this year have come from players who had not scored a collegiate goal entering this season.
- Gardan posted five saves on the weekend en route to his first two career shutouts.
- Juan Fajardo Ortiz, Castillo and Santos were all named to the 2015 STIHL All-Tournament Team.
Highlights & Quotes (Luc Fatton and Coach Giffard)
- VCU is back in action on Thursday, September 17 when they host 25th-ranked Georgetown. Game time at SportsBackers is set for 7 p.m.