Score: VCU 2, Hartford 0
Records: VCU (1-4-0), Hartford (1-1-2)
Location: SportsBackers Stadium—Richmond, Va.
The Short Story: Behind goals from sophomore Rafael Andrade-Santos and junior Jorge Herranz, the Rams claimed a 2-0 victory over Hartford Friday evening.
How It Happened
- Two minutes into the game, Andrade-Santos put the Rams on the board as he found the back of the net with an open goal shot.
- The Rams had a great ball in the box in the 15th minute but the Hartford defenders got in the mix to break up any scoring opportunity.
- The Hawks looked for opportunities to score the equalizer, but sophomore keeper Pierre Gardan was there to stop any chance.
- In the opening minutes of the second half, the Hartford keeper was pulled out of the net and Ivan Sakou's shot to extend the Rams lead barely missed.
- In the 85th minute, Herranz dribbled through defenders and skipped over the Hawks' keeper, finding the back of the net, and securing VCU's 2-0 victory.
- Both goals were the first of Herranz and Andrade-Santos' career with the Black & Gold.
- Andrade-Santos' goal (2:48) was the second earliest goal of Coach Giffard's tenure at VCU. Former standout Kharlton Belmar scored at 2:16 in the George Mason game last season (October 4).
- With the victory, Coach Giffard locked up his 50th career win.
- The Rams continue their home stand on Sunday as they entertain Jacksonville. Game time is slated for 7:00 p.m.