Score: California 3, VCU 1
Records: VCU (0-3-0), California (1-1-0)
Location: Goldman Field at Edward Stadium – Berkeley, Calif.
The Short Story: Unfortunately, second half opportunities just didn't fall for the VCU men's soccer team Friday afternoon at California. The Rams fell 3-1 with Jason McGlothern netting his second goal of the season.
How It Happened
- In the 10th minute, Rafael Andrade Santos looked to put the Rams ahead early but the Cal goalkeeper Alex Mangels was there to make the stop. A couple minutes later, the Golden Bears looked to get the ahead, but Pierre Gardan recorded his first save of the season.
- Cal took the 1-0 advantage in the 40th minute after Nick Lima found the top left corner.
- Greg Boehme's shot looked to be the equalizer in the 52nd minute, but the Cal defense blocked the chance.
- In the 53rd minute Cal's Paul Salecdo netted 2-0. The Golden Bears extended their lead to 3-0 in the 61st minute.
- Jason McGlothern netted his second goal of the season from Isaac Owusu to put the Rams on the board in the 66th minute.
- The Rams had several second half opportunities, but the ball just wouldn't fall where they wanted it.
- With four minutes remaining in regulation, Cody Sweatte's shot missed just high, sealing Cal's 3-1 win.
- "It's always tough to come west, but there were a lot of positives in tonight's game. We made some good steps forward from last weekend, but we are paying for every good chance the other teams get right now. That's what quality opponents will do. The focus now is on turning it around for another great game on Sunday." -- Head Coach Dave Giffard
- The Rams continue their California road swing with a game at No. 16 Stanford on Sunday. Game time is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. and can be seen on the Pac12 Network.