Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament
Score: No. 8 Rhode Island 75, No. 1 VCU 70
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. (Barclays Center)
Records: VCU 25-7, Rhode Island 18-14
The short story: Despite a record-setting 26 points and 22 rebound performance from VCU sophomore forward Marcus Santos-Silva, Rhode Island held off the Black and Gold in the Atlantic 10 Conference Quarterfinals Friday at Barclays Center.
- Santos-Silva went 8-of-14 from the floor and 10-of-14 from the free throw line en route to his 26 points. Of his 22 rebounds, 10 were offensive boards.
- De'Riante Jenkins was the only other VCU player to score in double figures with 13 points to go along with four rebounds and five assists.
- Jeff Dowtin led Rhode Island with 22 points
- Rhode Island outscored VCU 19-9 in points off turnovers despite VCU having 13 turnovers and Rhode Island having 12
- VCU led 45-39 early in the second half before Rhode Island used a 7-0 run to take a 46-45 lead. It was Rhode Island's first lead since 6-5 in the first half with 16:38 remaining
- VCU trailed by as many as eight points in the second half but continued to battle back and got within three points twice in the final 4:54 of the contest
- VCU had a chance to tie the game trailing 73-70 but Mike'L Simms' 3-pointer with five seconds remaining didn't fall
- URI shot 75.5 percent from 3-point range in the second half while VCU went just 1-of-6 from behind the arc in the final 20 minutes
- VCU was also outscored 25-18 in bench points
- Santos-Silva became the first Atlantic 10 Tournament player to grab 20 or more rebounds
- Santos-Silva was also the first player to have at least 20 points and 20 rebounds in an A-10 Tournament game
- Santos-Silva's 22 rebounds were the most by a Ram in more than 30 years
VCU will await its postseason selection on Sunday night.