Score: No. 4 Virginia 57, VCU 49
Location: Charlottesville, Va. (John Paul Jones Arena)
Records: VCU 7-3, Virginia 9-0
The short story: In a hard-fought game with 13 lead changes and six ties, VCU's defense held Virginia to just 29.5 percent shooting from the floor but the Cavaliers went 26-of-30 from the free throw line and used a late run to retake the lead with 5:02 remaining as they held off the Rams.
- Sophomore forward Marcus Santos-Silva scored eight points and grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Redshirt junior wing Issac Vann scored a team-high 10 points and handed out three assists.
- UVA held a slight 38-34 edge in rebounding.
- The Rams had a 20-10 edge in points in the paint and outscored UVA's bench 16-9.
- UVA was led by Kyle Guy who scored a game-high 15 points.
- Virginia went 26-of-30 at the free throw line while VCU went just 7-of-11.
- VCU and UVA both shot 29.5 percent from the field, with the Cavaliers shooting 27.5 percent from 3-point range while VCU shot 20.0 percent.
- VCU led for 15:58 of the contest while Virginia led for 20:09.
- After VCU led 43-40 with 6:30 remaining, UVA went on 17-6 run to close out the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU turned the ball over just nine times, the second-fewest so far this season, while the Cavaliers turned the ball over 12 times.
- UVA is the fifth opponent that VCU has held under 60 points this season.
VCU returns home to host the College of Charleston at 4 p.m. on Dec. 15.