Score: VCU 63, Davidson 74,
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 15-11 (7-6 A-10), Davidson 14-10 (9-4)
Attendance: 7,637 (115th consecutive sellout)
The short story: Justin Tillman and De'Riante Jenkins combined for 41 points, but it wouldn't be enough to overcome a strong second-half shooting effort by Davidson Wednesday night at the E.J. Wade Arena.
- Tillman hit 9-of-15 from the floor for 22 points and provided eight rebounds.
- Jenkins buried five three-pointers on his way to 19 points, while adding two rebounds and an assist.
- Sean Mobley added seven points and five rebounds for the Rams. He was 3-of-7 from the floor.
- VCU senior guard Johnny Williams dished out seven assists on the evening – while committing just one turnover -- and scored five points.
- The Wildcats were led by senior Peyton Aldridge who secured a double-double with 23 points and 11 boards. Aldridge scored 20 of his 23 points in the second half.
- The Rams struggled to shoot throughout the first half, shooting 10-of-26 for the floor and 3-of-12 from beyond the 3-point arc as Davidson carried a 28-24 lead into the locker room.
- Aldridge, who was held to three points on 1-of-9 shooting in the first half, sparked an 11-2 Davidson run with a 3-pointer as the Wildcats pushed their advantage to 50-36 with 9:38 remaining.
- A furious VCU rally, including a 3-pointer by Tillman with 32 seconds remaining, cut the Davidson lead to 71-63, but the Rams could get no closer.
- Davidson knocked down 6-of-11 from beyond the 3-point arc in the second half.
- Davidson led for 28:19 Wednesday.
- Tillman has surpassed 20 points in four straight games and 15 times this season.
- VCU and Davidson traded leads five times in the first half.
- Davidson outscored VCU 30-20 in the paint.
The Rams travel to Washington, D.C. to take on the George Washington Colonials. That game is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 17 and will be shown on Stadium. The Rams defeated George Washington earlier this season in an 87-63 home contest back on Jan. 20.