Tournament: Cleveland Golf Palmetto Invitational
Location: Aiken, S.C. (Palmetto Golf Club)
Course info: Par 70, 6,617 Yards
VCU finish: 9th (+35)
Top Ram: Adrian Vagberg T12th (+2)
The short story: Freshman Adrian Vagberg became the latest VCU underclassman to showcase his skills when he fired a final-round 68 on the way to his first top-15 finish Tuesday.
- Vagberg, a native of Sollentuna, Sweden turned in his best finish (12th) and lowest 54-hole score (212) as a Ram at Palmetto. He opened Tuesday's final round with a birdie on the 482-yard par 5 No. 10, and added four more birdies along the way. He closed the back nine in 32 strokes
- VCU placed ninth in a field that included No. 13 Clemson, No. 31 South Carolina-Aiken and No. 37 South Carolina. The Rams combined to shoot 35-over, four strokes behind eighth-place Furman. South Carolina (-27) ran away with the team title. Virginia and UAB (+8) tied for second, while Clemson (+15) and Memphis (+19) rounded out the top five
- Freshman Ian Peng (+7), who placed second at last week's Fort Lauderdale Invitational, grabbed a share of 26th at Palmetto after shooting 74-68-75
- Sophomores Kristian Tannum Donaldson and Sachin Kumar tied for 52nd for VCU, while freshman Cam Barackman placed 77th
INSIDE THE SCORECARD
- VCU registered the third-most birdies in the field (41)
- Vagberg totaled 11 birdies in the tournament to lead VCU, while Peng carded 10
- A different Ram has served as VCU's top finisher in each of its first three spring tournaments
VCU will return to action March 25-27 at the Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate at Golden Horseshoe Golf Club in Williamsburg, Va.