Tournament: Fort Lauderdale Intercollegiate
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Fort Lauderdale Country Club – North Course)
Course Info: Par 72, 6,861 yards
VCU finish: T3rd (+1)
Top Ram: Ian Peng, 2nd (-6)
The short story: Freshman Ian Peng fired a 3-under 69 in Monday's opening round and battled to a runner-up finish to lead VCU at the Fort Lauderdale Intercollegiate this week.
- Peng's performance is his best as a Ram. He shot 69-71-70=210 to edge South Florida's Luke Giffard for second. USF's Albin Bergstrom cruised to a 9-stroke win over the field with a three-round total of 201
- On Tuesday, Peng, who started the day in fourth place, fired six birdies on the way to a 2-under 70
- Behind Peng, VCU combined to shoot 1-over (865) for the 54-hole event. The Rams shared third place with UConn and were just two strokes off the pace of Florida Gulf Coast (-1). Twenty third-ranked South Florida (-24) rolled to a lopsided victory. Boston College (+6), rounded out the top five. VCU topped a pair of Atlantic 10 Conference foes, including league preseason favorite Davidson (+11)
- Sophomore Kristian Tannum Donaldson, who placed second at VCU's spring-opening Martin Downs Collegiate in February, placed 23rd Tuesday for the Rams at 3-over (73-70-76=219)
- Sophomore Sachin Kumar (26th), as well as freshmen Cam Barackman (34th) and Adrian Vagberg (37th) rounded out VCU's starting five
T63-Alston Newsom 78-79-81=238
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU led the field in Par 5 scoring (4.73)
- Peng ranked second in Par 3 scoring (2.83) and racked up 16 of VCU's 52 birdies, second-most in the field
VCU will head to the Palmetto Invitational March 11-12 at the Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken, S.C.