Final Score: American 4, VCU 1
Location: Washington, D.C.
Records: VCU (5-7, 3-2 A-10), American (8-4, 3-0 Patriot)
The Short Story: After trailing 1-0 at the half, three second half goals allowed American to pull away from VCU.
- Emily van Hijfte scored for VCU and recorded two shots on goal.
- Maddie Wilber had an assist on van Hijfte's goal.
- Cailin Bownas made four saves in her first collegiate start.
- Svea Sturm had a team-high three shots on goal.
- Janne Wetzel and Maite Sturm each recorded a shot on goal.
- American only outshot VCU 11-10 with an 8-7 edge in shots on goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- American opened the scoring in the 20th minute as Gaby de Kock scored off a rebound.
- The Eagles scored again just after halftime in the 33rd minute
- American scored twice in the fourth quarter to take a 4-0 lead with the fourth goal coming in the 58th minute.
- VCU scored in with seven seconds remaining as Wilber found van Hijfte after the American goalkeeper's initial stop.
VCU faces No. 12 Saint Joseph's at 3 p.m. on Oct. 18 at Cary Street Field.