Final Score: VCU 3, Davidson 1
Location: Richmond, Va.
Records: VCU (4-5, 2-1 A-10), Davidson (1-10, 0-3 A-10)
The Short Story: After Davidson tied the game at 1-1 in the third quarter, Maite Sturm scored twice at the end of the quarter to give VCU the lead for good and the win.
- Maite Sturm was involved in every VCU goal as she scored twice and also added an assist.
- Svea Sturm scored the other goal for the Black and Gold. Svea had a game-high three shots on goal.
- Litiana Field and Lynea Gregory each had an assist for the Rams.
- VCU outshot Davidson 14-8 with a wide 10-2 margin in shots on goal that favored the Rams.
- Eight different Rams had at least one shot attempt and forced Sarah Zeszotarski to make seven saves for Davidson
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Svea Sturm scored the game's opening goal in the ninth minute after Maite Sturm fed her the ball from the right wing in the eighth minute.
- The Rams outshot Davidson 9-4 in the first half and held a 1-0 lead at halftime.
- The Wildcats tied the game 1-1 just over a minute into the second half as McGee Roman tapped in a goal from close range after a deflection.
- Maite Sturm scored the game-winning goal in the 38th minute from the middle of the arc after fielding a pass from Field to give VCU a 2-1 lead.
- Maite added a second goal just over four minutes later on a wide open tap in after a feed from Gregory just off the end line.
VCU hosts Saint Francis on Oct. 6 at 2 p.m. at Cary Street Field.