Final Score: VCU 3, LIU 1
Location: Richmond, Va.
Records: VCU (1-1), LIU (0-2)
The Short Story: VCU took an early 2-0 lead in the first 23 minutes of the game and never looked back in a dominating win over the LIU Sharks.
- Maite Sturm scored two goals for the Rams on just three shot attempts.
- Lonica McKinney scored her first collegiate goal in what was the game-winning goal.
- Svea Sturm and Mackenzie Williams each recorded an assist.
- VCU outshot LIU 20-7 overall and 10-3 in shots on goal.
- Seven Rams recorded at least one shot attempt on the afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU and LIU played a back-and-forth first 14 minutes before the Rams were able to take control of the game. Lynea Gregory recorded the games' first shot in the 15th minute and Svea Sturm had a second shot on target just a few seconds later.
- Maite Sturm put VCU ahead at the beginning of the second quarter after Janne Wetzel's initial shot was saved and Sturm tapped the ball in for the goal in the 16th minute.
- VCU went up 2-0 in the 23rd minute as McKinney scored on an assist from Williams.
- The Rams went ahead 3-0 early in the fourth quarter as Maite Sturm scored after a leading pass from Svea Sturm got around the goalkeeper,
- LIU's Kaitlyn Olton scored the Sharks' lone goal in the 56th minute.
VCU hosts Bucknell at 3 p.m. on Sep. 7 at Cary Street Field.