Score: William & Mary 4, VCU 2
Location: Williamsburg, Va. (Busch Field)
Records: VCU (1-3), William & Mary (3-2)
Short Story: Emily McNamara tied the school record for career goals and points with a goal in the 60th minute to trim the Rams' deficit to just 3-2. The Tribe scored in the 66h minute to push their lead back to 4-2 and hold on for the victory.
- McNamara's goal was the 53rd of her career and her 130th career point, both of which tie her with Kelsey Scherrer for the most in VCU history.
- Bentley Zabicki also scored for the Rams, her first collegiate goal.
- VCU outshot William & Mary 18-15 overall but the Tribe held a slight 11-9 advantage in shots on goal.
- McNamara had a team-high 10 shots with six of them on goal.
- Litiana Field took four total shots, with two shots on goal.
- Sasha Elliot made seven saves for the Rams in the cage on the 11 shots she faced.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- William & Mary opened the scoring in the 8th minute as Christie van de Kamp scored on a penalty corner.
- Zabicki and VCU answered and tied the game 1-1 in the 17th minute after she took a deflected shot and scored.
- The Tribe retook the lead at 2-1 in the 26th minute after Cara Menges collected an Elliot save, shot and scored.
- Annie Snead scored for the Tribe in the 50th minute to push their lead to 3-1 after a first shot attempt hit the post.
- McNamara closed the deficit to 3-2 after her shot hit off a Tribe defender and went into the cage.
- William and Mary's Estelle Hughes scored in the 66th minute for the final 4-2 margin.
VCU hosts Saint Louis at 3 p.m. on Sept. 14 at Cary Street Field.