Aug 29, 2014
- Score: Drexel 3, VCU 1
- Records: VCU (0-1), Drexel (1-0)
- Location: Buckley Field-- Philadelphia, Pa.
- Short Story: VCU fell to perennial CAA power, Drexel, 3-1 on Friday night in the season opener. Drexel scored three unanswered goals, before freshman Alexis Albright put the Rams on the board. Goalkeeper Kendall Clifton registered seven saves in the cage.
How It Happened
- Drexel struck first when Jessica McCarthy scored off a corner in the 15th minute
- In the 42nd minute Drexel extend its lead behind a goal from Rachel Sumfest, and five minutes later took a 3-0 lead
- Freshman Alexis Albright scored her first collegiate goal in the 52nd minute to make it, 3-1
- "Tonight was a high paced game for 70 minutes. Although a loss is never a good thing we showed that we can play the style of hockey that we are striving to play," said head coach Laura Baker. "Drexel had a very good side with a lot of experience and they took their chances. We have a few things to work on in the upcoming week, but look forward to continuing taking steps to improve throughout the season."
- "We had a lot of great performances from everyone on the team, but the young Rams really stepped up today and we are really excited to see them continue to help build this program," said head coach Laura Baker.
- The Rams will play at Liberty on Friday, September 5. The game is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.