Final Score: VCU 3, GMU 2
Location: Fairfax, Va. (Spuhler Field)
Records: VCU (38-17, 18-5 A-10), GMU (19-34, 5-18 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU defeated GMU 3-2 on Friday to win the Atlantic 10 Regular Season Championship. The Rams will hold the No. 1 seed in next week's Conference Tournament.
- Paul Witt led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hit, and an RBI
- Zac Ching added a hit and a run scored on Friday
- Steven Carpenter and Brandon Henson combined for two hits and two runs scored in the win
- Curtis Bafus picked up his third win of the season, while Ben Dum earned his fourth save.
- The Rams bullpen struck out seven batters along the way.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the first run of the game in the first inning, Witt's RBI single to center plated Ching. The play left the Rams on top 1-0 early.
- Schroeder helped extend VCU's lead to 2-0 in the top of the second, after his RBI to center drove Henson home.
- GMU tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the third after T. Quinn singled to right field to drive in two runs.
- The Rams retook the lead at 3-2 in the top of the fourth on Brown's RBI to scored Steven Carpenter.
- VCU's defense, led by Bafus, shut GMU down in the fifth and sixth innings, allowing no runs to score during the stretch.
- The Rams continued their strong defensive play behind Ben Dum, who pitched the final three innings without allowing a hit. His stellar play down the stretch preserved VCU's 3-2 lead in today's victory.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, May 18, for their final game of the regular season against A-10 foe George Mason. That matchup is slated for 2:00 p.m. at Spuhler Field in Fairfax, Va.