Final Score: UVA 8, VCU 7
Location: Charlottesville, Va. (Davenport Field at Disharoon Park)
Records: VCU (36-17, 16-5 A-10), UVA (30-21, 12-15 ACC)
The Short Story: VCU's late-game rally comes up just short in 8-7 loss to UVA. The loss snapped the Rams five game winning streak.
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits, two RBIs, one run scored, and one homerun for the Rams
- Brett Norwood added three hits, one run scored and three RBIs on Tuesday
- Hunter Vay and Hogan Brown combined for three hits, two runs scored, and two RBIs against UVA
- The Rams bullpen totaled five strikeouts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the first couple of runs in the game after Liam Hibbits 2-run shot to right scored Brett Norwood. The play marked Hibbits's sixth homer of the season and the 46th run scored for Norwood.
- UVA cut VCU's lead to 2-1 in the bottom of the second after N. Eikhoff stole home.
- Brett Norwood's RBI single to right field extended the Rams lead to 3-1 in the top of the third, after Hogan Brown scored on the play.
- The Cavaliers trimmed the Rams lead to 3-2 in the top of the fifth on an RBI by L. Michaels.
- UVA took their first lead of the game in the sixth inning, scoring four runs in the bottom half to gain a 6-3 advantage. They pushed their lead to 7-3 in the bottom of the seventh on B. Rivoli's RBI.
- The Rams fought back in the top of the eighth, tying the game at 7-7. Hunter Vay, Jack Schroeder and Brett Norwood each drove in runs to knot the game up.
- The Cavaliers scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the eighth on an RBI single by Richardson.
- VCU's ninth inning rally came up just short in the 8-7 loss.
VCU will be back in action on Thursday, May 16, for Game One of their final weekend series of the season with A-10 foe George Mason. That matchup is slated for 3:00 p.m., in Fairfax, Va.