Score: VCU 9, Saint Joseph's 3
Location: Lower Marion, Pa. (Smithson Field)
Records: VCU 34-16 (14-5 A-10), Saint Joseph's 18-25 (10-9)
The short story: Sophomore designated hitter Liam Hibbitts drove in three runs and VCU used a 12-hit attack to back starter Justin Sorokowski Friday at Saint Joseph's.
- VCU scored three runs in the first and one each in the next three frames to stake Sorokowski, a junior right-hander, to a 6-0 lead
- Four Rams recorded multiple hits on the day, including sophomore centerfielder Hogan Brown, who finished 3-for-6 and scored three runs from the leadoff spot
- HIbbitts finished 2-for-6 with three RBIs
- Junior left fielder Brandon Henson added his sixth home run of the season when he led off the top of the third with a no-doubter to deep left center
- Sorokowski tossed five innings of one-run ball and allowed just three hits. He struck out a pair and did not walk a batter
- Senior righty Ben Dum got the Rams out of trouble in the seventh and threw the final 2 2/3 to pick up his third save of the season
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU struck for three runs in the first inning, including a pair of a two-run single by Hibbitts
- Rams added a run in the second when Paul Witt legged out a two-out infield single with the bases loaded. Henson later led off the fourth with a line shot over the left field fence
- The Hawks scratched out a run in the bottom of the fifth and then trimmed the margin to three runs on a Matt Cuppari two-run blast in the seventh
- Dum allowed just a pair of base hits the rest of the way. e He He struck out two and did not issue a walk
VCU and Saint Joseph's will play a doubleheader on Saturday, May 11 to close out their three-game set. First pitch is set for noon. The teams were originally scheduled to play one game each Saturday and Sunday, but have decided to double up due to expected rain in the Philadelphia area.