Score: VCU 11, VMI 2
Location: Lexington, Va.
Records: VCU 31-15, VMI (13-33)
The short story: After trailing 2-0 at the end of the second inning, VCU's bats came alive as the Rams scored 11 runs on 14 hits. The Rams capped the game off with a four-run ninth inning to sweep the season series.
- Four Rams took the mound, allowing just two runs on eight hits while striking out 11 batters.
- Evan Chenier moved to 6-0 on the season after giving up no runs on three hits in three innings.
- Josh Simon went 2-for-4 with two RBIs.
- Jack Schroeder went 3-for-5 with two RBIs and a run scored.
- Alex Taylor went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Keydets scored two runs in the bottom of the second inning to take an early 2-0 lead.
- The Rams responded in the top of the third with back-to-back singles from Brett Norwood and Talyor to even the game at 2-2.
- Simon gave VCU the lead for good with a sacrifice fly to center field in the top of the fourth that plated Brandon Henson.
- VCU put up three runs in the top of the fifth to push its lead to 6-2, capped off by a Paul Witt 3-run home run that also scored Liam Hibbits. Witt earned two RBIs on the homer after Hibbits reached on an error that scored Zac Ching.
- The Rams scored one run in the eighth inning and four runs in the ninth for the final margin.
VCU travels to Durham, N.C. to face ACC foe Duke in a doubleheader on May 5. The first pitch is set for noon.