Final Score: Game One - Richmond 8, VCU 5; Game Two – VCU 16, Richmond 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (Pitt Field)
Records: VCU (28-11, 11-3 A-10), Richmond (19-16-1, 6-5 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU dominated Richmond 16-3 in Game Two of Saturday's doubleheader to split the day. With the win, the Rams moved to 11-3 in Atlantic 10 play.
LEADING OFF (GAME ONE)
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits and two runs scored
- Hogan Brown added two hits and one RBI on Saturday
- Steven Carpenter and Paul Witt combined for two hits and three runs scored in the loss
- The Rams bullpen totaled ten strikeouts vs Richmond
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE)
- VCU scored the first run of the game in the top of the second after Alex Taylor's RBI plated Liam Hibbits. Moments later, Hogan Brown's RBI single drove Steven Carpenter home to give the Rams a 2-0 lead.
- Richmond tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the second on scores by Lee and Schmidt.
- Richmond took a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the fifth after Forte's RBI double scored Plantier.
- The Rams retook the lead in the top of the eighth after RBIs from Alex Taylor, Hunter Vay ad Zac Ching allowed Paul Witt, Liam Hibbits and Steven Carpenter to score.
- The Spiders scored two runs in the bottom of the eighth to tie the game at 5-5.
- Richmond rallied in the bottom of the ninth to take an 8-5 win over the Rams.
LEADING OFF (GAME TWO)
- Paul Witt led the way for the Rams offensively, posting three hits in three at-bats, one run scored, and a season-high seven RBIs for the Rams
- Brett Norwood added three hits, four runs scored and two RBIs on Saturday
- Zac Ching and Logan Amiss combined for four hits, five runs scored and three RBIs and a homerun in the win
- The Rams bullpen totaled ten strikeouts vs ODU
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO)
- VCU scored the games opening runs in the top of the first after Paul Witt's RBI plated Zac Ching. Moments later, Brett Norwood scored on a wild pitch to give the Rams a 2-0 lead.
- Richmond tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the first on Forte's two run homer.
- The Rams got the bats going in the top of the second after Hogan Brown, Brett Norwood and Paul Witt's RBIs allowed Steven Carpenter, Logan Amiss, Josh Simon, Hogan Brown and Brett Norwood to score. VCU took a 7-2 lead into the bottom half of the second.
- VCU added one more run to the total in the top of the fourth after Norwood's RBI drove Alex Taylor home.
- Paul Witt's RBI triple down the left field line scored Brett Norwood and Zac Ching to extend the Rams lead. Witt then scored on a wild pitch to widen the gap even further. Logan Amiss followed that up with a two run shot to right center to push VCU's lead to 13-2.
- The Spiders scored in the bottom of the sixth to trim the Rams lead to 13-3.
- VCU added three more runs in the top of the seventh to take a 16-3 lead.
- VCU's defense shut down the Spiders in the seventh through ninth innings, allowing no runs to score.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, April 21, for the final game of their weekend series with cross town rival and A-10 foe Richmond. That matchup is slated for 12 p.m. in Richmond, Va.