Final Score: VCU 9, La Salle 6
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hank DeVincent Field)
Records: VCU (24-7, 7-1 A-10), La Salle (15-16, 1-7 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU won their fifth consecutive game on Friday after racing out to an early 9-1 lead. The win also marked the Rams tenth victory in their last eleven outings.
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits, one run scored, a team-leading three RBIs
- Zac Ching provided two hits and one run scored vs La Salle
- Steven Carpenter and Brandon Henson combined to post three hits, three runs scored and one RBI on Wednesday
- Ben Dum earned his fifth win of the season, while Sam Ryan picked up his fourth save. The Rams bullpen struck out five batters in the win.
- The Rams totaled 10 hits on Saturday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the first run of the game in the top of the first after Hibbits RBI single up the middle scored both Brown and Norwood.
- The Rams extended their lead to 3-0 in the top of the second when Steven Carpenter scored on an error.
- La Salle trimmed the Rams lead to 3-1 in the bottom of the second after O'Day scored on Mulhall's RBI single.
- Henson crushed a pitch to center field in the top of the third to plate Hibbits and earn himself an RBI triple. Simon's sacrifice bunt a few moments later earned him an RBI and drove Henson home. The Rams entered the fourth inning leading 5-1.
- VCU tacked three more runs onto the total in the top of the fourth on scores by Taylor, Ching and Norwood. Hibbits and Witt were each credited with RBIs as the Rams took an 8-1 lead.
- Carpenter extended the lead to 9-1 in the top of the fifth on Brown's RBI.
- La Salle scored runs in the fifth, sixth and eighth to get as close as 9-6 heading into the ninth inning.
- VCU's defense, led by Ryan, shut La Salle down in the bottom of the ninth to effectively end the game.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, for the final game of their weekend series with Atlantic 10 foe, La Salle. That matchup is slated for 2 p.m., at Hank DeVincent Field in Philadelphia, Pa.