Final Score: VCU 7, UMass 2
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (17-6, 2-0 A-10), UMass (4-11, 0-2 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU defeated UMass 7-2 on Saturday on the strength of a strong all-around effort. The win moved the Rams to 2-0 in Atlantic 10 play so far this season.
- Zac Ching led the way for the Rams offensively, posting three hits in five at-bats, two runs scored, two RBIs and his fourth homerun of the season for the Rams
- Josh Simon provided one hit, two runs scored, one RBI and his first homerun of the season in Saturday's win
- Brett Norwood and Liam Hibbits combined to post six hits in nine at-bats, two RBIs, and one run scored vs UMass
- Ben Dum earned his fourth win of the season, allowing no hits in four innings pitched. The Rams bullpen struck out ten batters on Saturday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first after Norwood's RBI double down the left field line allowed Hogan Brown to score. Moments later, Hibbits RBI single through the right side drove Norwood home to put the Rams up 2-0 early.
- Ching, Paul Witt and Steven Carpenter combined for a successful double play in the bottom of the second to effectively end the inning and maintain the Rams lead.
- Josh Simon hit his first homerun this year in the bottom of the second to extend VCU's lead to 3-0.
- UMass scored their first run of the game in the top of the fourth after R. Lever's RBI allowed N. Kessinger to score and trim VCU's lead to 3-2.
- Witt's RBI in the bottom of the fifth extended the Rams lead to 4-2 after Ching scored on the play.
- VCU's defense, lead by Dum, held UMass scoreless in the sixth through eighth innings to maintain a 4-2 advantage.
- In the bottom of the eighth, Brown's RBI single through the right side allowed Simon to score his second run of the game. Shortly after, Ching hit his fourth homerun of the season to extend the Rams lead to 7-2 with one inning to play.
- The Rams forced UMass to go three up and three down in the top of the ninth to effectively end the game.
VCU will be back in action on Sunday, March 24, for the final game of their weekend series with UMass. That matchup is slated for 1 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.