Final Score: VCU 5, UMass 2
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU 16-6, UMass 4-10
The Short Story: VCU defeated UMass 5-2 on Friday on the strength of a strong defensive effort. The win marked the Rams first Atlantic 10 victory of the season.
- Paul Witt led the way for the Rams offensively, posting one hit, one run scored, and one RBI for the Rams
- Hogan Brown provided one hit and one run scored in the win
- Liam Hibbits and Steven Carpenter combined to post three hits in six at-bats, two runs scored, and an RBI vs UMass
- Evan Chenier earned his fourth win of the season, while Sam Ryan picked up his second save. The Rams bullpen struck out thirteen batters on Friday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first after Paul Witt's RBI allowed Hogan Brown to score. The play put the Rams on top 1-0 early.
- UMass scored twice in the top of the third to take a 2-1 lead. Oliphant and Shapiro both scored runs, while Videtto and Kessinger were credited with RBIs.
- Hunter Vay's RBI in the bottom of the fourth drove Paul Witt home to re-tie the game at two. A few moments later, Vay scored on a throwing error by the catcher to put the Rams back on top 3-2.
- VCU's defense shut UMass down in the fourth through eighth innings, allowing no runs to score to maintain a 3-2 lead.
- Andrew Puglielli and Steven Carpenter extended the Rams lead to 5-2 in the bottom of the eighth after they each scored on a wild pitch.
- VCU thwarted UMass's comeback attempt, completing a 6-4-3 double play to effectively end the game and secure the Rams first conference win of the season.
VCU will be back in action on Saturday, March 23, for Game Two of their weekend series with UMass. That matchup is slated for 2 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.