Final Score: UCF 8, VCU 2
Location: Orlando, Fla. (John Euliano Park)
Records: VCU 14-5, UCF 14-6
The Short Story: Rams fall to UCF in the final game of their weekend series at John Euliano Park in Orlando, Fla. VCU is now 10-2 in their last twelve outings.
- Tomas Sanchez led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits in four at-bats and one run scored
- Paul Witt and Steven Carpenter combined to post three hits in four at-bats and two RBIs vs UCF
- Hogan Brown and Hunter Vay combined for two hits and one run scored on Sunday
- Today's game marked only the second time in the last nine games that the Rams were held below six runs
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UCF recorded the first two runs of the game after T. Osik scored on D. Wingo's RBI. Shortly after, D. Beaver scored to put the Kinghts up 2-0 in the bottom of the first.
- In the bottom of the second, UCF extended their lead to 4-0 on scores by B. Hernandez and R. Alejo.
- The Rams, lead by RHP Justin Sorokowski, shut UCF down in third and fourth inning not allowing a score.
- In the bottom of the fifth, UCF scored on D. Beavers solo homerun to push their lead to 5-0.
- The Knights took a 7-0 lead in the bottom of the sixth after Osik and Alejo both scored.
- UCF's extended their lead to 8-0 in the seventh inning after A. Torres's single allowed B. McCabe to score.
- VCU scored their first two runs of the game in the top of the eighth on Carpenters RBI single through the left side. His hit scored Brown and Sanchez to trim UCF's lead to 8-2.
- The Rams late attempt to rally fell short as UCF was able to hold on for the win.
VCU will be back in action on Tuesday, March 19, for a mid-week matchup with William & Mary. That game is slated for 6:30 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.