Final Score: VCU 4, UCF 3
Location: Orlando, Fla. (John Euliano Park)
Records: VCU 14-4, UCF 13-6
The Short Story: Rams rally in the eighth and ninth inning to beat UCF 4-3. Saturday's win marks the tenth win in the last eleven games for VCU.
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits in four at-bats, to go along with a team-leading two RBIs
- Paul Witt added two hits in five at-bats and lead the team in runs scored with two
- Hogan Brown and Jack Schroeder combined to post two hits, one run scored and one RBI vs UCF
- The Rams totaled 10 hits in Saturday's win
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UCF recorded the first two runs of the game after R. Alejo scored on a throwing error in the bottom of the first inning. A few plays later, T.Osik scored on D. Bravers RBI to take a 2-0 lead.
- VCUs defense, lead by RHP Connor Gillispie, locked UCF down in the second through fifth innings, allowing no runs to stay within two.
- The Rams scored their first run of the game in the top of the sixth after Hibbits RBI triple down the right field line drove Witt home.
- In the bottom of the sixth, UCF scored on D. Beavers solo homerun to push their lead to 3-1.
- Benjamin Dum lead the Rams defense to back to back scoreless innings in the seventh and eighth to hold the score at 3-1.
- Hibbits double down the left field line in the top of the eight scored Witt and trimmed UCF's lead to 3-2. A few moments later, Schroeder's RBI single to right field allowed Andrew Puglielli to score the game-tying run.
- Hogan Brown scored the game-winning run in the top of the ninth to put VCU on top 4-3.
- Dum lead VCU's defense to three quick outs in the bottom of the ninth to preserve the win.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, March 17, for the final game in their weekend series with UCF. That matchup is slated for 1:00 p.m., at John Euliano Park in Orlando, Fla.