Final Score: VCU 7, Lafayette 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU 11-3, Lafayette 3-9
The Short Story: VCU completed the weekend sweep in their series against Lafayette with a 7-3 win on Sunday. The Rams have now won seven consecutive games, including ten of their last eleven.
- Josh Simon led the way for the Rams, posting three hits in three at-bats and a team-leading three RBIs
- Paul Witt had a strong all-around performance, going 2-for-3 at the plate while adding two RBIs and two runs scored
- Hogan Brown and Liam Hibbits combined for three hits, three runs scored and an RBI in Sunday's win
- Curtis Bafus earned his first win of the season, and the Rams bullpen struck out ten batters overall on Sunday.
- VCU has scored at least six runs in six of their last seven outings, including four in a row
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got on the board early and often, scoring four runs in the bottom of the first inning. Witt continued his strong weekend when his RBI single drove both Ching and Brown home for the games opening runs. A few moments later, Josh Simon singled to left center to allow both Carpenter and Witt to cross home plate and put VCU up 4-0.
- Lafayette cut the Rams lead to 4-1 in the top of the second on Leckie's RBI double that allowed Rouse to score.
- Rouse's RBI in the top of the third trimmed VCU's lead to 4-2 after Stern scored on the play.
- Simon's double down the left field line in the bottom of the third drove Witt and Hibbits home to extend the Rams lead to 6-2.
- Liam Hibbits RBI in the bottom of the fourth drove Brown home and extended VCU's lead to 7-2.
- Strong defense on both sides lead to a scoreless fifth and sixth inning as the score remained 7-2 Rams, at the start of the seventh inning.
- Johnson scored the Leopards third run of the game in the top of the seventh on a wild pitch. The play cut the Rams lead to 7-3.
- The Rams locked down Lafayette in the ninth inning to secure a 7-3 win on Sunday.
VCU will be back in action on Tuesday, March 12, for the first of a two-game series with Marist. That matchup is slated for 6:30 p.m., at the Diamond in Richmond, Va.