Final Score: VCU 7, Lafayette 6
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU 10-3, Lafayette 3-8
The Short Story: The Rams outlast the Leopards 7-6 on Paul Witt's RBI double in the eighth to win game two of the weekend series. Today's win marked the ninth win in the last ten games for VCU, including six straight.
- Paul Witt led the way for the Rams, posting three hits in five at-bats, to go along with four RBIs
- Zac Ching had a strong all-around performance, recording three hits in four at-bats, three RBIs and two runs scored vs Lafayette
- Hogan Brown and Alex Taylor combined for two hits and four runs scored in the win
- Sam Ryan earned his second win of the season, and the Rams bullpen struck out twelve batters on Saturday.
- VCU has scored at least six runs in five of their last six outings
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams scored the opening run of the game when Witt's double to right allowed Ching to score.
- VCU extended their lead to 2-0 in the bottom of the second, after Ching doubled down the left field line to drive home both Alex Taylor and Tomas Sanchez.
- Lafayette trimmed the Rams lead to 3-2 in the top of the fourth on scores by Hartey and Rouse.
- Witt's single through the right side pushed VCU's lead up to 4-2 in the bottom of the fourth, after Brown scored on the play.
- Lafayette took their first lead of the game after a 4-run sixth inning put them up 6-4 heading into the bottom half of the inning.
- The Rams cut the Leopards lead to 6-5 on Ching's RBI double that allowed Taylor to cross the plate.
- Witt's double down the left field line in the bottom of the eighth put the Rams up for good. Ching and Brown scored runs on the play and VCU went on to win 7-6.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, March 10, for the final game of their weekend series with Lafayette. That matchup is slated for 1 p.m., at the Diamond in Richmond, Va.