Final Score: VCU 6, Cornell 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU 6-3, Cornell 0-4
The Short Story: Rams shut down Cornell en route to 6-1 win on Friday. Sam Ryan picked up the win on the mound for VCU.
- Liam Hibbits led the way for the Rams, posting three hits in four at-bats, two runs scored, and an RBI
- Steven Carpenter recorded two hits in four at-bats, to go along with one RBI and one run scored
- Paul Witt and Zac Ching combined for three hits, one run scored and one RBIs vs Cornell
- The Rams bullpen totaled ten strikeouts, while only surrendering four hits
- VCU totaled eleven hits in Wednesday's win
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU took a 1-0 lead in bottom half of the first inning after a Paul Witt RBI single allowed Hogan Brown scored the run on the play for the Rams.
- Justin Sorokowski and the Rams defense started the game out on fire, not allowing Cornell to record a hit until the fourth inning.
- Sam Ryan entered the game in the top of the fifth inning to relieve Sorokowski with the Rams leading 1-0. Ryan immediately struck out all three batters faced in that inning to retire the side.
- With the Rams ahead 1-0 in the bottom of the sixth, Steven Carpenter singled to center field to drive Witt home. A few moments later, Brett Willett earned his first RBI of the game after driving home Liam Hibbits. Carpenter scored shortly after, extending the Rams lead to 4-0 heading into the top of the seventh
- Cornell trimmed the Rams lead to 4-1 in the top of the seventh inning on Garza's sacrifice fly that allowed Simoneit to score.
- Hibbits RBI in the bottom half of the inning drove Brett Norwood home to push VCU's lead to 5-1. Later in the inning, Hibbits scored on a Willett sacrifice fly to extend the lead to 6-1.
- VCU forced Cornell to go three up and three down in the top of the ninth to effectively end the game.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, March 2, for Game Two of their three-game weekend series with Cornell. That matchup is slated for 2 p.m., at the Diamond in Richmond, Va.