Final Score: VCU 7, S.C. Upstate 4 (Game One) ; VCU 14, S.C. Upstate 2 (Game Two)
Location: Harley Park (Spartanburg, S.C.)
Records: VCU 4-2, S.C. Upstate 2-4
The Short Story: VCU swept S.C. Upstate in Sunday's doubleheader to win their third consecutive game. The Rams scored a season-high 14 runs in the second game and outscored the Spartans 21-6 in the two game series. Sunday's win marked VCU's third consecutive victory.
LEADING OFF (Game One)
- Josh Simon and Tomas Sanchez each posted 2 hits, 2 runs scored and a RBI to lead VCU
- Paul Witt contributed three hits and a run scored for the Rams
- Brett Norwood hit his first homerun of the season in the victory
- Alex Taylor provided one hit, one run scored and a team-high three RBIs
- Paul Witt and Brandon Henson combined for four hits and three runs score for the Rams
- Justin Sorokowski earned the win for the Rams, only allowing one hit in four innings
- VCU totaled 11 hits in Sunday's win
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game One)
- In the top of the first inning, Steven Carpenter walked with the bases loaded to allow Brett Norwood to score the games opening run.
- The Rams extended their early lead to 4-0 in the fourth inning after Taylor singled up the middle to drive both Sanchez and Simon home. Zac Ching's sacrifice fly a few moments later brought Taylor home for his only RBI of the game.
- Sanchez's single to left center pushed VCU's lead to 5-0 as Simon scored on the play. Shortly after, Sanchez scored on a passed ball to put VCU up 6-0.
- The Spartans rallied in the sixth and seventh innings, scoring two runs in each to cut VCU's lead to 6-4 heading into the top of the eighth.
- In the top of the ninth, Simon earned his second RBI of the game when his bunt allowed Witt to score. The play extended VCU's lead to 7-4 going into the bottom half of the inning.
LEADING OFF (Game Two)
- Zac Ching led the way for the Rams, recording two hits including a 3-run homerun, and a team-high five RBIs
- Brett Willett scored a team-leading four runs, in addition to 2 hits, 2 RBIs, and a solo homerun
- Logan Amiss contributed two RBIs and a solo homer for the Rams
- Norwood provided three hits, three RBIs and scored a run in the second game of the doubleheader
- Jack Alkire earned the win for the Rams, only allowing one hit with six strikeouts in four innings
- VCU recorded a season-high in runs scored (14) and allowed a season-low (2)
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game Two)
- The Spartans scored in the bottom of the first inning to take an early 1-0 lead over the Rams.
- VCU responded with a 6-run third inning led by a 3-run homerun by Ching, followed by a Liam Hibbits RBI and culminating in an Amiss 2-run homer to take back control of the game early.
- With the Rams still up 6-1 in the top of the fourth inning, Willett hit a solo homer to right to push the lead to 7-1 VCU.
- Two innings later, Ching tripled to right field to allow both Alex Taylor and Hunter Vay to score. The played extended the Rams lead to 9-1 heading into the bottom of the sixth.
- S.C. Upstate trimmed VCU's lead to 9-2 on a fielding error.
- Norwood put the Rams on top 10-2 with his sacrifice fly in the top of the eighth. Willett scored the run on the play.
- The Rams scored four more runs in the top of the ninth to effectively put the game away and earn a 14-2 victory.
VCU will play be back in action on Feb. 26., at 3 p.m., when they host Maryland at the Diamond in Richmond, Va. for their home opener.