Final Score: VCU 13, Wofford 3
Location: Russell C. King Field (Spartanburg, S.C.)
Records: VCU 2-2, Wofford 2-2
The Short Story: VCU recorded a season-high in runs to beat Wofford 13-3 on Thursday. Nine Rams had RBI's, including three homeruns in the victory.
- Zac Ching led VCU with three hits, three RBI's and his first homerun of the season
- Hogan Brown recorded two hits in five at-bats to go along with two RBI's and a homerun
- Brett Norwood hit his first homerun of the season in the victory
- Alex Taylor provided two hits and led VCU with three runs scored
- Paul Witt and Brandon Henson combined for four hits and three runs score for the Rams
- Connor Gillispie earned the win for the Rams, throwing eight strikeouts in four innings
- VCU totaled 18 hits in Thursday's win
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the top of the first inning, Ching hit his first homerun of the season to give VCU a 1-0 lead early in the game.
- Gillispie started the game out on fire, striking out all three of the batters he faced in the bottom of the first inning.
- The Rams scored four runs in the top of the third inning after Brown's homerun drove home Alex Taylor to extend the lead to 3-0. A few moments later, Brett Norwood homered to left, further extending the lead to 4-0. Brandon Henson would also score in the inning.
- In the bottom of the fourth inning, Gillispie continued his stellar play in the game, striking out three more batters to bring his total to eight k's on the day.
- VCU piled on their lead in the top of the fifth inning, scoring five more runs to go up 10-0. Witt, Henson, Schroeder, Taylor and Simon each scored a run for the Rams during this stretch.
- In the top of the seventh inning, Norwood and Sanchez helped extend the Rams lead to 12-0 with their scores. Sanchez and Stallings earned RBI's on the plays.
- Taylor scored for the third time of the game in the top of the eighth inning to put VCU up 13-0 late in the game.
- Wofford scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth to cut the Rams lead to 13-3.
- VCU never trailed in today's game
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, Feb. 22, for a 12 p.m. matchup with Radford.