Final Score: Game 1: Liberty 14, VCU 10
Game 2: Liberty 4, VCU 2
Location: Liberty Baseball Stadium (Lynchburg, Va.)
Records: VCU 0-3, Liberty 3-0
The Short Story: Despite putting up 14 runs over a stretch of two games, the VCU Rams couldn't hold down the offense from Liberty as the Flames took a pair of games over the Black & Gold on the day.
- Brett Willett reached base five times on the day, the most of any Ram in the lineup. He went 2-for-3 in Game 1 with a run and RBI to his name. He would add three walks in Game 2.
- Paul Witt put together three hits on the day, including a 2-for-4 effort in Game 2. He added a walk and RBI in Game 1.
- Mitchel Lacey and Zac Ching collected a hit apiece in each game, while Lacey added three runs scored between the two contests.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A three-run home run in the bottom of the first got the scoring started for Liberty, as Dylan Allen notched his first home run of the season off of Sean Thompson to put the Flames up 3-0 early.
- VCU fought back in the top of the second, as a leadoff walk to Mitchel Lacey got things going. However, with back-to-back outs made, the Rams did the rest of their damage with two out.
- Hogan Brown collected his first collegiate hit with a double to center to put runners at second and third. Following a Josh Simon walk, the Rams had the bases loaded for Haiden Lamb.
- With what appeared to be an inning-ending strikeout to Lamb on a 3-2 count, the ball was in the dirt, forcing a play to be made at first. The catcher threw the ball over the first baseman's head down the line, allowing all three base runners to score and putting Lamb at third.
- The Rams wouldn't be done, with Steven Carpenter also collecting a walk to bring up Daane Berezo. Berezo would fly a ball to center that would get lost in the sun, allowing both Lamb and Carpenter to score on the double putting VCU up 5-3 as the game entered the bottom of the second.
- Simon and Witt each helped the Rams slide the lead to 8-3 into the fifth inning, as Simon's RBI single scored two in the third and Witt's RBI single in the fourth scored one.
- Liberty would tie the game putting up five runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, which included two RBI singles and an RBI double for the Flames.
- Didn't take long for the Rams to reclaim the lead in the top of the sixth, as a sacrifice fly by Brett Willett and RBI single by Zac Ching gave the Rams a 10-8 lead.
- However, Liberty would post four runs in the bottom of the seventh and two in the bottom of the eighth to overtake the Rams and claim the 14-10 win.
- After three scoreless frames for both sides, Liberty jumped ahead with three runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. The Flames sent nine batters to the plate to grab the 3-0 lead.
- VCU made things interesting in the top of the seventh inning, as Jack Schroeder collected his first collegiate hit in a big way. A single to center field scored a pair of runs, bringing the Rams within one, 3-2.
- Liberty tacked on the final run of the game in the bottom of the eighth inning as an RBI single would give the Flames the 4-2 lead, which they would take final.
The Rams will stay on the road to open the season as they travel to Williamsburg to take on the William & Mary Tribe on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.