Final Score: VCU 4, Fordham 3 (10 innings)
Location: Houlihan Park (Bronx, N.Y.)
Records: VCU 25-15 (13-2 A-10), Fordham 18-18, (7-7 A-10)
The Short Story: With a series sweep and six-game winning streak on the line, the VCU Rams got the job done on Sunday afternoon thanks to it's pair of Carpenter's, as both Darian and Steven came in clutch on offense in the Black & Gold's 4-3 victory over the Fordham Rams. Darian would hit a two-run home run, while Steven would give VCU a go-ahead single in the top of the tenth to aid the Rams victory.
- Brett Willett was strong at the plate, going 2-for-5 with an RBI, while both Logan Farrar and Dylan Isquirdo also collected a pair of hits as well.
- Along with the pair of Carpenter's, both Mitchel Lacey and Haiden Lamb each collected a hit on the afternoon as each hit a single on the afternoon.
- Jonathan Ebersole would collect the win in relief for VCU for his second win of the season.
- Matt Jamer would pitch a scoreless 1.1 innings, giving Sam Donko a day off and collecting his first save of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Darian Carpenter got the offense rolling in the top of the third inning, as he followed a Paul Witt walk with a two-run home run to give VCU an early 2-0 lead.
- Fordham came back with a run in the bottom of the fourth as Ryan Mahoney singled to score Matt Bardwell, cutting the VCU lead to 2-1.
- With the pressure still on with runners on the corners, Fordham had a chance to also pull even in the bottom of the fourth. However, a slick double play from Zac Ching and Paul Witt would end the inning and keep the score 2-1.
- A two-out rally would get VCU a run in the top of the fifth, as it was Willett to cash in Steven Carpenter for the RBI and push the VCU lead to 3-1.
- Matt Kozuch would smack a two-out double for Fordham in the bottom of the fifth. That would end Michael Dailey's day, and give way to Benjamin Dum. The following Fordham hitter, Jake Baker, would hit a lazy fly in foul territory down the left field line. However, Steve Carpenter would track it down and make an over-the-shoulder sliding grab to snag the third out.
- Fordham came threatening to score in the bottom of the seventh inning, as a leadoff double and walk put two on with nobody out. After a sacrifice bunt, Dum got a strikeout and Hayden Moore got a fly out to right to end the threat and keep the score in VCU's favor, 3-1.
- After VCU left runners on second and third in the top of the eighth, Fordham struck with a two-out triple into center field, scoring two runs and tying the game at 3-3.
- The game would go to extras, and Steven Carpenter would be the go-to guy in the top of the tenth, as his two out RBI single scored the Rams go-ahead run to take a 4-3 lead.
- Jamer shut the door on Fordham in the bottom of the tenth for his first save of the season and clinching the sweep for VCU.
VCU will return to action this Tuesday, April 25 when the Rams travel to Farmville, Va. to take on Longwood in mid-week action. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.