Final Score: VCU 3, Fordham 2
Location: Houlihan Park (Bronx, N.Y.)
Records: VCU 23-15 (11-2 A-10), Fordham 18-16, (7-5 A-10)
The Short Story: Down 2-1 in the top of the eighth inning, a bases loaded, two out single from sophomore Zac Ching would make the difference as the hit would score two runs and aid the VCU Rams in a 3-2 in over the Fordham Rams. The win would be the Rams fourth win and row, with the last three coming from behind.
- Starting pitcher Sean Thompson would go seven strong innings, giving up five hits, two runs (one earned), and one walk while striking out five for his sixth win of the season.
- Sam Donko would shut the door on Fordham over the final two innings for his 10th save of the season. With the save, Donko ties Adam Bryant (1991-94) in career saves in program history with 30.
- Darian Carpenter paced the offense with a 1-for-2 day with a home run, RBI, two runs scored, a walk, and a hit by pitch.
- Zac Ching brought home two RBI in his 1-for-4 day, while Logan Farrar went 1-for-5 with a run scored.
- Brett Willett and Daane Berezo each knocked out a base hit as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a clean first two innings from both sides as each only got one hit apiece, it looked VCU would break through with the games first run in the top of the third inning. However, VCU would leave the bases loaded and the game would remain 0-0.
- Fordham would get on the board first in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Mark Donadio led off the inning with a ground rule double. He would end up scoring on a Ryan Mahoney RBI single that dropped into shallow left field, giving them the 1-0 lead.
- VCU would pull even in the top of the sixth inning, with one swing of the bat Carpenter evened the game at 1-1 on a solo home run, his eighth big fly of the season.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Fordham would grab the lead back 2-1. With an error by VCU allowing Mahoney to reach third base, Reiss Knehr would drop down a safety bunt. That would bring in the runner from third and give Fordham the lead.
- The Black & Gold would fight back in the top of the eighth, as Farrar singled to open up the inning. After two popups that became outs, the Rams would go to work, beginning with a Carpenter walk.
- With two on and two out, Willett put up one of the most pivitol at-bats of the night. With a 1-2 count, Willett would work a full count, narrowly miss a go-ahead double, and eventually draw a walk to load the bases.
- Ching would follow Willett's at-bat with a solid at-bat of his own, drawing a 3-0 count before taking two strikes. With a full count and the runners moving on the play, Ching would scorch a line drive into center field, scoring Farrar and Carpenter to give VCU a 3-2 lead.
- Donko would enter for Thompson in the bottom of the eighth, and lock things down for the next two innings for the save.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Saturday, April 22 when the Rams return for Game 2 of the three-game series at Fordham. First pitch on Saturday is scheduled for 1 p.m.