Final Score: Davidson 5, VCU 4
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 19-15 (8-2 A-10), Davidson 18-13 (8-5 A-10)
The Short Story: With the game 5-1 headed into the bottom of the ninth, the VCU Rams would make a solid comeback effort, putting up three runs in the final frame and leaving the tying run at third base. However, they would fall just short as the Black & Gold would drop to the Davidson Wildcats 5-4 in Game 1 of an Atlantic 10 three-game series. Davidson start Durin O'Linger would go seven innings giving up one run in the Wildcats win.
- Logan Farrar led the offense with a 3-for-4 day that included a double, walk, RBI, and two runs scored.
- Darian Carpenter loaded up his resume with a 2-for-5 evening, pumping in a team-high three RBI.
- Paul Witt and Haiden Lamb each recorded multi-hit games, as each went 2-for-4.
- VCU out-hit the Wildcats 12-10, as both sides also left 10 men on base.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Things didn't get started until the top of the third inning, as Will Robertson took Sean Thompson deep for a two run home run, giving Davidson an early 2-0 lead.
- The Rams responded in the bottom of the third, as Carpenter nearly tied the game with a home run, but his line drive hit off the top of the wall, scoring Farrar to cut the lead to 2-1.
- The score would stand until the top of the fifth when Davidson struck back with another pair of runs as both Brian Fortier and Justin Lebek each hit RBI singles to extend the Wildcat lead to 4-1.
- With the bases loaded in the top of the eighth and one out, it looked VCU might turn a double play to get out of the inning and out of the jam. However, Robertson beat out the back end of the play at first to allow a run to score. That would pump the Davidson lead to 5-1.
- The Rams would make a charge in the bottom of the ninth, as Haiden Lamb would start things off with a one out single through the left side for his second hit of the day.
- Dylan Isquirdo would pick the right time for his only hit of the ballgame up the middle, putting runners at first and third for Farrar. His single would score Lamb, as all the runners would trade places putting runners first and third again and put the score at 5-2.
- Paul Witt would follow up by getting hit by a pitch, loading the bases for Carpenter. He would smack a single into center, scoring two runs and bringing the Rams within one, 5-4. Witt would scamper to third.
- Steven Carpenter would come in to pinch hit for Mitchel Lacey, but ground out to the shortstop to end the ballgame, cutting the Rams comeback just short.
VCU will return to action this tomorrow, as the Rams will play host to the Davidson Wildcats at The Diamond in Atlantic 10 play. First pitch for Game 2 is slated for 2 p.m.