Final Score: VCU 13, Charleston Southern 4
Location: CSU Ballpark (Charleston, S.C.)
Records: VCU 2-2, CSU 2-2
The Short Story: The bats came out to play for the VCU Rams on Friday night, as they rocked 21 hits in a 13-4 victory over Charleston Southern. The Black and Gold smacked three home runs in the contest, while sophomore Michael Dailey settled in for a scoreless five innings in his first victory of the season.
- Both Darian Carpenter and Mitchel Lacey compiled four hits apiece in the contest. Carpenter finished with two doubles, a home run, and two RBI, while Lacey finished with four singles, an RBI, and a stolen base.
- Daane Berezo and Brett Willett smacked three hits apiece, as Berezo had two doubles and Willett with a double and home run.
- Logan Farrar launched a home run for his first of the season, and had a team-high three RBI on the game.
- Eight Rams finished the contest with at least an RBI, as VCU hit .385 (10-for-26) with runners on in the ballgame.
- VCU put lead off runners on in seven of the nine innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Black and Gold got things started early, as multiple base runners led to an RBI double from Rabat to give VCU a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
- Daane Berezo would start the scoring in the bottom of the second, with a pair of runners on would drop a double down the left field line, scoring one.
- The big blow in the second would come from Farrar, as his line drive was smashed over the right field fence for a three-run home run, capping the four run inning and giving the Black and Gold a 6-0 lead.
- After a scoreless third inning, the Rams came back with another run in the fourth, as Berezo and Darian Carpenter went back-to-back with doubles to extend the VCU lead to 7-0.
- In the fifth, Willett would make the lead 8-0, as he smashed his first career home run over the right field fence.
- After CSU put up a run in the bottom of the sixth, the Rams came back with two in the top of the seventh, as both Haiden Lamb and Paul Witt delivered sacrifice flies. That would put VCU up to a 10-1 lead.
- The Bucs would add three more in the bottom of the seventh, as junior Chris Singleton knocked a three-run home run off reliever Ryan Fox to put the score at 10-4.
- Carpenter responded to the CSU home run with his first of the season to lead off the bottom of the eighth, giving VCU an 11-4 lead.
- J.P. Vail and Lacey went back-to-back with RBI singles in the top of the eighth to push the Rams lead to 13-4.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 25, as they are back to Charleston Southern for Game 2 a three-game series. Game time for Game 2 on Friday is scheduled for 4 p.m.