Final Score: Davidson 11, VCU 5 (Game 1)
VCU 0, Davidson 0 (Game 2) – Cancelled after 4.0 innings
Location: Wilson Field (Davidson, N.C.)
Records: VCU 36-17 (15-8 A-10), Davidson 25-24 (11-11 A-10)
The Short Story: With a berth in the Atlantic 10 Tournament secure, the VCU Rams were in position to deny the Davidson Wildcats with their opportunity to reach the postseason. However, with a win over the Black and Gold, the Wildcats defied their odds and defeated the Rams by a final of 11-5 in game one. Game two was played through four innings, but would be called and would not become official.
- Logan Farrar went full beast mode on offense, putting in a 4-for-5 performance with an RBI and run scored on the game. His out was a fly out to the warning track.
- Cody Acker was solid in the middle of the lineup, going 2-for-5 with a run scored, while Darian Carpenter also went 2-for-5 with an RBI.
- Cooper Mickelson was the other Ram with a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- James Bunn, Matt Davis, and Brody Cook each contributed RBI's on the game as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Davidson would start things off in the bottom of the second inning, as they would grab a pair of runs on an RBI single from Andrew Pope, putting the Wildcats up 2-0 early.
- The home side would add yet another three runs in the bottom of the third, thanks to two RBI singles via Eric Jones and Alec Acosta. Will Robertson would add the fifth run scoring on a Brooks Vial wild pitch. Davidson's inning would help them put the score to 5-3.
- VCU would rope things back in when they came to bat in the top of the fourth inning. With the bases loaded, Brody Cook put a ball in play to second base. The ball would be mishandled and allow a run to score bringing things to 5-1.
- One batter later, James Bunn would lift a sacrifice fly to center field to bring home the runner from third, shrinking the lead to 5-2.
- To wrap up the scoring in the inning, it would be Farrar to smack a single and drive home Cooper Mickelson to cut the Davidson lead to 5-3.
- Davidson would add two more in the bottom of the fifth off of Jonathan Ebersole, as a sacrifice fly and fielder's choice would extend things back out to a 7-3 game.
- The Wildcats would break things open in the bottom of the eighth inning, as they put up a four-spot thanks to an RBI single from Robertson, and an RBI double from Pope.
- Carpenter would send an RBI groundout to shortstop in the top of the ninth to add to the Rams score, putting the score to 11-4.
- Matt Davis would chip in an RBI single with two out to add another run, bringing VCU within an 11-5 distance.
VCU return to action this week when they will begin the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament up at Fordham University. Official matchups will be released soon, with the Rams most likely to be playing as the number two seed at 1:30 on Wednesday afternoon against the tournament's seven seed.