Final Score: VCU 4, Norfolk State 2
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 21-12, Norfolk State 13-16
The Short Story: Returning home to The Diamond for a mid-week game, the VCU Rams once again looked to string together back-to-back wins. They did not disappoint the RVA fans, as the Black and Gold fought for a tough-nosed 4-2 win over Norfolk State thanks to a two-run first inning.
- Both Logan Farrar and Cody Acker led the way with two hits apiece, which accounted for the Rams whole total for the evening. Acker finished with the upper hand, contributing an RBI to his stat line.
- Brett Hileman and James Bunn each drove in a run on the night.
- The Rams accounted for five walks on the night, as Daane Berezo finished with a team-high two.
- Starting pitcher Jonathan Ebersole went 5.0 strong innings, only allowing three hits and no runs but did not factor in the decision. Tanner Winters grabbed the W out of the bullpen, his first of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU jumped out to the early lead in the bottom of the first, as the Rams drew three consecutive walks with one out to load the bases. Brett Hileman would step in and get hit by a pitch on the first pitch he saw. That would force in the first run of the ballgame, giving the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- Just one batter later with the bases loaded, Acker sent a ball to deep right field for a sacrifice fly, scoring another run and putting VCU up 2-0 after the first inning.
- After four innings of zeros across the board, Norfolk State struck for two runs in the top of the sixth inning. With a pair of base runners on, Roger Hall shot a single to right field to score both runners to tie things up at 2-2.
- The Black and Gold would find a way back ahead in the bottom of the sixth. With the first two batters of the inning in Acker and James Bunn reaching base, Zac Ching sacrificed them to second base and third base from a bunt. As Norfolk State tried to intentionally walk Farrar, Alex Mauricio balked and brought home Acker to put VCU up 3-2.
- The Rams added one more for good measure in the bottom of the eighth inning, as Brett Hileman reached on a walk. After being pinch-ran for by Haiden Lamb, the VCU would work Lamb around the bases and eventually in to score on a double play turned by Norfolk State. The insurance run gave the Black and Gold a 4-2 lead.
- Sam Donko came in to secure the ninth, collecting his 12th save of the season.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Both teams combined in leaving 12 base runners on the game
- Sam Donko's 12th save now puts him two saves away from tying Daniel Concepcion's school record of 14 saves that he set just one season ago.
- The Rams now improve their mid-week record to 4-5, with back-to-back mid-week wins for the first time this season (4/5 vs. Virginia)
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Wednesday, April 13 when they travel to William & Mary. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.