Final Score: VCU 5, Longwood 2
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 13-7, Longwood 11-10
The Short Story: Returning home after a weekend road trip to South Carolina, the VCU Rams brought their talents back to The Diamond for a showdown against the Longwood Lancers. Despite only mustering six hits on the night, the Black and Gold showed top-notch discipline at the plate as they put up a 5-2 win over Longwood to split the season series with the Lancers.
- Logan Farrar was the difference maker in the game, as he finished 1-for-3 with a triple and three RBI.
- James Bunn his part at the plate, going 1-for-1 with a single, while also reaching base his other four plate appearances with two walks, and getting hit by a pitch twice.
- Both Cody Acker and Brody Cook reached base twice on the evening, as Acker drew two walks in an 0-for-3 night, while Cook went 1-for-3 with a single and a walk.
- Reliever Matt Jamer got the win for the Rams, pitching 3.0 innings of solid work out of the bullpen, giving up only two hits, one run, and one walk.
- Sam Donko came on to pitch the final two innings after Jamer, earning his eighth save of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams had an opportunity to score in the first inning, as both teams managed to get runners in scoring position but couldn't cash in.
- With Longwood failing to convert with runners in scoring position in the top of the second, VCU broke through with a run, as James Bunn forced in a run by getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. The play gave the Rams a 1-0 lead without yet recording a hit.
- C.J. Roth started the third inning for Longwood with an infield single, and moved to second on a groundout. With two out, Connar Bastaich reached on an error by Cooper Mickelson. As Mickelson made the error, Roth rounded third and tried to score on the play. Mickelson was able to recover and throw out Roth at the plate to end the inning.
- The Lancers tied up the game in the top of the fourth, as Carlos Garrido knocked an RBI single to center field, scoring Colton Konvicka to tie things up at 1-1.
- The Rams found some runs in the bottom of the fourth, as Logan Farrar lined one into center field with the bases loaded. Center fielder Colton Konvicka dove and couldn't get the ball. As the ball rolled to the wall, all three runs scored and Farrar ended up with a triple, giving the Rams a 4-1 lead.
- Thanks to Mickelson, the Rams would add one more in the bottom of the fifth, as he would bring one in on a groundout with the bases loaded. That would give the Black & Gold a 5-1 lead.
- Longwood responded with one in the top of the sixth, as Brandon Harvell knocked in a run on an RBI single to center, bringing the Lancers within three, 5-2.
- Donko came in and put the Lancers on lockdown in the eighth and ninth innings, as he notched his eighth save of the season, clinching the win for the Rams.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Longwood starter Zach Potojecki struggled with his control, throwing 47 pitches, only getting 20 strikes.
- Donko's eighth save currently leads the stat in the A-10
- The Rams offensive prowess continues to grow, as they rank second in the A-10 in runs scored.
VCU will return to action this weekend starting Friday, as they open with the first of a three-game series at The Diamond. The Rams will take on the Bonnies of St. Bonaventure as they also open their conference schedule for 2016. First pitch on Friday is set for 6:30 p.m.